Maybe every church needs an Emergency Faith Response Team (EFRT). If you are prepared to respond to the death of a church member with a funeral ministry, then you already have experience with this kind of thing. Build a similar team and structure in your church to be on alert… ready to spring into action with a moment’s notice.
Here are some questions to consider as you develop your EFRT:
- What do you need to add to your website that might be helpful in an emergency?
- What literature can you place strategically around your church building that might help people unpack the meaning of a big life event?
- Who in your church has a life situation that would allow him/her to be available at any moment?
- What would you need to do to train church members for home visits or hospital visits to families that are experiencing a life-changing event?
- What Scripture passages and faith themes are relevant in helping people to understand the meaning of big life events?
- How will you make church members and community members aware of your EFRT?
Let your faith formation emerge from real life. It may be the most effective faith formation you ever do. Here are a couple of other articles that will help you develop your EFRT: