(How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss)
According to recent national surveys, 70-80% of Americans would welcome less emphasis on spending, gift-giving, decorating and all the materialism of the Christmas season.
Gift of Time Ideas:
- Homemade dinners delivered to the recipient’s house
- Special activities with your spouse – a candlelight dinner or outdoor activity
- A month of taking out the garbage or vacuuming
- A monthly lunch date with an elderly relative or friend
- Car washing
- Offering a particular talent such as photography, gardening, financial planning, or hairstyling
- A personalized basket filled with homemade muffins, cookies and jam
- Record interviews of parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles on tape; you can ask them to discuss their memories of the person you plan to give the tape to, or your family’s history.
- A book of favorite (family) recipes
- A family calendar marked with important dates, such as birthdays, anniversaries, and family gatherings.
- Frame one of your best photographs.
- Gifts of experience
- Sign people up for lessons in a sport, a language or musical instrument.
- Offer to teach others a skill you possess.
Gifts to Charity
- Donate to a cause in the name of a family member.
- Sponsor a child refugee, support a homeless shelter.
- Anonymously give food, clothing, and money to a particular family in need.
- Have a gourmet potluck party instead of one person doing all the cooking.
- Instead of having a party centered around a full meal, have people over for coffee and dessert alone.
- Delegate some of the decorating, especially if you have children.
Connect with the Children
- Help them put on a holiday play or puppet show.
- Go caroling.
- Make a gingerbread house.
- Together prepare gift boxes for the homeless (each box filled with food, treats, and personal toiletries).
Be Kind to the Earth
- Use comics or paper bags as wrapping paper.
- Recycle gift boxes and ribbon.
- Call the toll-free numbers on excess holiday catalogues and have your name taken off their mailing lists.
- Buy a live tree and replant it.