- Shatters the myth that greed is the path to success
- Accomplishing goals through collaboration and reciprocity
- Encouraged me to be a more thoughtful friend and colleague
- Debunking of good guys finish last
- Generosity generates its own kind of equity
- Those who win most are often those who give most
- Giving is the recipe for success
- People do better by being better
- Infected with wanting to give more and take less
- Make the world a better place
- Not only make you a better person, but make you more capable of doing good for many people
We might think these people are talking about what they’ve learned from reading the Gospels, what they’ve experienced from witnessing the lives of followers of Jesus.
Isn’t it exciting – and heart-warming – when others discover, through research, through the stories of real-life people, through living life, the truth that challenges, the truth that frees us?
The above comments are from people who have read (and in many ways experienced) the Gospel message of giving through the book, Give and Take, by Adam Grant. Grant reminds us the often, in our history as humans, we have focused on ourselves: our passion, our hard work, our talent, and our luck. He challenges us to reflect on the reality that success is increasingly dependent on how we interact with others. Most people, he says, operate as either takers, matchers, or givers. Whereas takers strive to get as much as possible from others and matchers aim to trade evenly, givers are the rare breed of people who contribute to others without expecting anything in return.
The Gospel message?
Might this book be used with teens, young adults, and adults in the journey of faith?
- Reflect on the real-life stories here, comparing them to their real-life experiences.
- Utilize the Discussion Questions within formation settings.
- Read the book, comparing it to the messages of Scripture.
- Invite various groups to an online book study.
- Decide what in the book Jesus would have said; what Jesus might say differently.
- Write an examination of conscience about giving and taking.
- Build a Pinterest board of givers in today’s world.